If I had known how awesome being pregnant was, I might have done this sooner… I’m not kidding. This is great.
Top Six Awesome things about my pregnancy (and yes I know these lists are typically Top Ten but please see #5) below:
1) I have gotten more comments from strangers on how great I look in the past few weeks than I ever have in my whole entire life. And I’m not including strangers in bars because that doesn’t count. I’m talking about the creepy guy at Borders in Chapel Hill in 2003 and the hot tattoo guy from the Denver Public Library, and ok while tatoos are not my thing, let’s just say Dan was lucky he met me two days before tattoo guy did. And I don’t care that almost all the people who happen to think I look so great right now are women. Doesn’t matter. They’re strangers and they are saying these lovely things that just make my day. I am an equal opportunity compliment taker, thank you.
2) For once I am not rejecting outfits because my stomach sticks out too much, wondering if my stomach sticks out too much, wearing things that disguise my stomach, or trying to suck my stomach in. My stomach has nowhere to go but out and I don’t care!! And the best part is, it’s rock hard! My stomach has never been so hard. Ok flat and hard would be awesome but one out of two ain’t bad.
3) For the first time in my Boulder life, people are impressed with my athleticism. Because running six marathons and completing two ironmans aren’t a big deal around here. But bike ten miles pregnant to volunteer at your triathlon club’s duathlon with a baby bump and suddenly you’re a lean mean machine. Teach a spin class with a bun in the oven and you’re an obsessive athlete. (And ps, pregnant or not, just because you are teaching doesn’t mean you are necessarily doing all the things you are telling your class to do). At Zumba tonight, I was practically a celebrity. And I don’t care if my fans were middle aged ladies. To reiterate, I’m all about equal opportunity compliment taking.
4) You get to buy new clothes. Actually, you HAVE to buy new clothes. Forced clothes shopping… I couldn’t have even made such a wonderful thing up if I tried!!!
5) I am GROWING A HUMAN IN MY BODY.
6) No need to feel guilty re: sleeping in, going to bed early, bailing early on social endeavors, eating whatever looks good, skipping a workout, or yawning at work (see #5).
4 thoughts on “Pregnancy Top Six List”
Pam, this is an awesome list. I’m so glad that this is such a positive experience for you! And if you ever need any other equal opportunity compliments, just look back here to the East Coast; ONE marathon impresses me! — Anne B.
I totally agree. People will also continue to ask “How are you feeling? or How are you two doing?” and they seem to genuinely care. My other favorite things are having boobs and feeling the baby kick. The boy I’m carrying is a mover and I never get tired of it. Just in the last week he started getting hiccups 2 or 3 times a day. I can also feel where he is by finding the hard spot….maybe his back or his head and then watching and feeling him move around. It’s unbelievable.
You ARE a lean, mean machine! And an adorable role model for healthy, athletic pregnancy. This is seriously the most encouraging pregnancy-related list I’ve ever read. I love it! : )