More Post-Partum Fitness Experiment

Day 16: Sunday April 15
We woke up and I wanted to keep sleeping (as usual) and Dan wanted to go out for brunch. I love to sleep but I also really love to go out to eat… What to do, what to do… My life is so hard. I got out of bed in a hurry (about 20 minutes after Dan mentioned brunch) and set to work and within 45 minutes I had made Dan a snack to tie him over (NOT to tide him over… I looked it up), pumped, got dressed, filled a water bottle, refilled my tires and was out the door on a bike ride.  It was a perfect day for a ride. The air was crisp, the sky was sunny, the grass was green, and there was snow on the mountaintops. Coming back down South Boulder Road with a panoramic view of the Flatirons unfolding before me, I was reminded yet again of why I love living here. I can never get over the fact that the scenery here makes me feel like I should be on vacation, like this is too beautiful to be my life. I rode for an hour and ten minutes, including a gradual climb of about 2 miles. It felt good to get out. I drank a bottle of Heed while riding and replenished calories with the South Walnut Cafe bennie special (an egg, a black bean cake, cheese, and spinach sauce on an english muffin), a bite of Dan’s banana bread and a Boulder latte (which involves honey, vanilla, and cinammon. Mmmmm.)

Day 16: Monday April 16
I had every intention of going to Masters but Sweet Pea had other plans for me. Sunday night, she nursed for what I hoped was the last time and I had her in bed at 11:10pm. We repeated this at around 12:40am. In my bleary state, I considered getting up at 5:00am to be at the pool for 6:00, and the fact that Monday is the day when Dan goes to a meeting after work and doesn’t return until about 10:00pm. Also note, Sweet Pea seems to have a sixth sense about when we are short-handed and tends to be most fussy on Monday nights, and I am invariably calling Dan between 9:57 and 10:03pm every Monday to ask through clenched teeth where he is. I saw a meltdown (mine, not Sweet Pea’s) in my immediate future and therefore turned off the alarm. Fortunately, Dan was able to be flexible with his work hours, so I was able to go for a 40 minute run at 8:40am. My foot had been feeling much better so I decided to go for it and it felt really good. My hips are a little sore but I think that’s partly to do with the fact that it was my first run on pavement in months. My foot, however, feels almost 100%.

Day 17: Tuesday April 17
I swam 1400 meters before dinner. The best part was the steam room afterward. I never went in during my pregnancy because I was afraid it was too hot. So far, I was a bit concerned that exercise would affect my milk supply, so I avoided it because of the sweat factor. But I think my milk has been fine, as Sweet Pea has been growing like crazy. So I went in. And it was glorious.

Day 18: Wednesday April 18
I met a friend at the rock gym at 6:30. I set the alarm for 5:20 but Sweet Pea started cooing (loudly) at her mobile at 4:45 so I didn’t get to sleep in. (Please note the sarcasm). Before I got pregnant, I was climbing indoors about once a week and I was able to do a 5’9 but now even the 5’6’s were challenging. I am looking forward to getting back into it. Oh and before I left, I pumped a 7oz, a major PR. Woot!

3 thoughts on “More Post-Partum Fitness Experiment

  1. Pam says:

    Carolyn, you are so much more qualified than Google to answer these types of questions:) I should have asked you first. Seriously, thanks!!

  2. Anonymous says:

    We advocate a more gradual approach to weight loss. “The number one thing new mothers have to have is a certain amount of patience with their body,” she says. “It took nine months to get there. It should take at least that long to get back to their fighting weight.

Leave a Reply