Dr. Jenni Skyler is an AASECT (American Academy of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists) certified sex therapist and a licensed marriage and family therapist. She has been the Director of The Intimacy Institute for sex and relationship therapy for over almost 12 years. She holds a doctorate in Clinical Sexology and a Master of Education in Counseling Psychology & Marriage and Family Therapy. In addition, Dr. Jenni offers sexological wisdom and advice as the in-house Resident Expert at Adam & Eve–America’s largest sex toy company.
When not working, Jenni loves to move her body. She was a three-sport athlete in high school, a beginner marathon runner in college, competed in triathlons in grad school, and eventually made her way to Crossfit. However, she has now retired from that as well!
In this episode we discussed:
- Gymnastics as a refuge from Jenni’s tumultuous childhood
- Jenni’s journey from gymnastics to other sports: water polo, swimming, running, triathlon
- How a knee injury interfered with her running and ultimately lead her to weight lifting and later CrossFit
- What it looks like to work on shifting her “compulsive” relationship with fitness to one that’s focused on taking pleasure in movement
- How her husband’s support and motherhood helped spark her new relationship with exercise
- Why she quit CrossFit (at least for now) and why the “balls to the wall” approach stopped working for her
- Getting rid of the scale
- Uncoupling her worth from her weight
- The core fears of being inadequate and lovable that drove her exercise habits—and how these same fears have also been a driver behind her professional and athletic success
- The journey to knowing “I matter no matter what”
- How Jenni’s mom, a sexual abuse survivor who struggled with bulimia and drug addiction influenced her life (and her career in particular)
- Are soul mates really a thing?
- Why it’s normal for women in long-term relationships to want to want sex (nope, not a typo!)
- Advice on how to lean into sex with your long-term partner when your to-do list beckons
- On mothering without a map
- Her relationship with fear
- Why (and how) she’s meditating
- The e-course she’s offering couples via The Intimacy Institute
For full details click here.
**Visit my website to get your FREE guide to crushing Impostor Syndrome**
Are you ready to your relationship with exercise, food, and body image for good? I can help.
Click here to learn more about body-positive health coaching.
Want to know my secrets for getting published in top publications? They’re all in my e-book, 7 Pitches That Sold. Use the code realfit50 to get half off.