If you’re trying to raise kids with good body image- despite the fact that you still don’t have all your sh*t figured out- this is a must listen. (Also, if you’re forcing your kids to master martial arts, you might be on to something!)
**Trigger warning: eating disorders**
Sarah Johnson is the Association Director of Group Exercise for the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington. She grew up in Des Moines, Iowa and graduated from Simpson College with a degree in Sports Medicine and Management. She then moved to Washington, D.C. to pursue a career in Corporate Wellness as a Group Exercise Coordinator and 7 years ago joined the Y. Sarah is a Certified Personal Trainer and holds certifications for varying group exercise formats. Through her work in the wellness industry, she has become passionate about promoting body positivity and sharing the message that fitness is for every BODY.
Connect with Sarah
In this episode we talk about:
- Her parents’ pushing her to obtain a black belt in Tae kwondo as a kid, and the doors that opened up for her later on; most notably it was her gateway to group fitness instruction.
- Playing volleyball as a teenager and discovering her love for team sports and competition
- Dabbling in track events
- How majoring in athletic training was a great background for her to build a career in wellness
- Working at a weight loss camp for teenagers right out of college
- How the heck you pronounce “Tae kwondo” as well as variations on the pronunciation of “bagel”
- “Getting your body back” after pregnancy and why this is an expression that needs to die.
- “Dad bod” and all its implications
- Kids clothing labels (specifically, “husky”)
- Thin doesn’t necessarily equal healthy
- Diets don’t work
- The struggle to raise kids with a healthy body image
- Covid as an opportunity to connect
- Impostor Syndrome
- Showing up as a group fitness instructor in a bigger body
- The joys of being a fitness instructor
- What is an athlete?
For full details click here
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider buying me a cup of coffee
Have a question you'd like me to answer on the podcast?
Ask me right here
**Visit my website to get your FREE guide to crushing Impostor Syndrome**
Want to know my secrets for getting published in top publications? They’re all in my e-book, 7 Pitches That Sold. Use the code realfit50 to get half off.