Taneika is a gravel cyclist, runner, mother of two, active-duty sailor, and freelance writer living with a medical condition called myasthenia gravis. She’s a member of the elite women’s gravel team Velocio//Exploro. Committed to being the change she wants to see in outdoor spaces, Taneika toes the line at as many gravel races as she can and is creating a gravel scholarship to reduce the barrier to entry for female-identifying athletes of color.
Connect with Taneika
In this episode, we talked about…
- Gifting herself a Peloton bike
- Being diagnosed with PCOS and endometriosis
- Getting the myasthenia gravis diagnosis and how she’s managed to thrive in spite of it
- Why her parents didn’t allow her to participate in sports as a kid
- Grieving the loss of her pre-diagnosis self
- Finishing the Marine Corps Marathon after receiving the myasthenia gravis diagnosis
- Transitioning from road to gravel
- Working with an occupational therapist to ride sustainably
- Showing up as the only female Black cyclist at her first gravel race
- What it means for communities and businesses to truly embrace diversity and inclusion
- What giving herself grace looks like
- Redefining success
Velocio Exploro gravel cycling team
Getting it in Cyclists
Fall Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC
Dirty Kitten Gravel race
Unbound Gravel race
Real Fit interview with Rona Kilmer
Girls Gone Gravel Festival
Birdie personal safety alarm
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider buying me a cup of coffee
Ready to heal your relationship with food, exercise, and your body? I can help. Click here to learn more.
Want to feel better about your body right this minute? Sign up for my newsletter and get my FREE printable guide, 11 Things You Can Do Right Now to Feel Better About Your Body
Want to know my secrets for getting published in top publications?
They’re all in my e-book, 7 Pitches That Sold. Use the code realfit50 to get half off.